Tuesday, October 29, 2013




          Detail from Chattanooga Choo-Choo

One foot on the West Coast, one foot in the Midwest: that’s the way it’s been for nearly two years now. As with all good moves, there comes new art. 
I mean, who knew you could experience full-blown culture shock, within your own country, where you speak the same language (sort of) as the population in your new state residence,  eat the same foods (not exactly), and celebrate the same holidays in the same way (not even maybe)???? Did you know that the SPAM museum is here in the Midwest? Or that Organic Prairie Vodka (1) exists and (2) is surreal-ly delicious? It’s true.  
So how does a transplanted artist absorb and process all this wonder? In the studio, pounding metal books. But of course!
The Midwest is a trip, Chicagoland is amazing, I survived my first full winter. And I’ve been making art all about it. Much of the new work will be on display in my California Richetts' Space*, just in time for the Art Riot Reception at the Escondido Municipal Gallery 5:30-8 p.m. on November 9th.  I’ll be at the reception too, hoping to see many good friends again. Ask me about the cheese curds, or frozen hair, or if deer in the front yard is a good thing. I’m ready with the answers! 
TTFN, I’m off to get my Illinois driver’s license. LOL.
Hope to see all you west-coasters a week from Saturday.
Renée


*Richetts' Space is located at the back of the 
Escondido Municipal Gallery Building
262 E. Grand Ave
Escondido, CA 92025 
Hours are Tues,Thurs-Sat, 11a.m.-4 p.m. 
Closed Sunday, Monday and Wednesday


No comments:

Post a Comment